Key Components for Staff Engagement
Framework for Improving Quality in our Health Service - Prompt Questions
If you are interested in developing your engagement skills the following prompt questions, which are based on our Framework for Improving Quality in our Health Service, may help you! Self awareness and understanding what’s important to your staff are the first steps in improving your engagement skills. You can also click on the tabs to the left for more information about why staff engagement is important and some information about our work.
- How do you value staff ideas (asking, listening to and hearing what’s important to staff)?
Action using creating problem solving
- How do you encourage staff to act on their ideas (create space for creativity and innovation)?
Teamwork in a culture of respect and integrity
- How do you encourage teamwork and say thank you to build trust?
Health and wellbeing
- How do you help staff manage the emotional impact of care?
Continuous learning and development
- Do you think it would be helpful to receive training on engaging staff for quality improvement? (if so please contact us).
Coaching and mentoring
- How do you prepare yourself to encourage staff to act on their ideas and devolve decision making to the front line?
Top tips for Engagement
Think about what makes you feel valued. If it’s important to you, it is likely that it’s important to your staff. Don Berwick from the IHI speaks about motivating for excellence - these three tips are his suggestions for what’s important to staff...
- I am treated with dignity and respect
- I am given tools to do work that adds meaning to my life
- Someone notices and says thank you
We’ve learned that leaders who engage staff do the following:
- Ask, listen and hear - know what’s important to staff
- Act with integrity
- Value staff ideas - create space for creativity and innovation
- Include staff - share the decision making
- Communicate with staff - tell them what’s happening
- Trust staff - relinquish control safely
- Be there to help them make it happen
- Say thank you!!!
Why is Staff Engagement Important? (click)
Staff Listening Sessions (click)
Front Line Ownership (click)
What can you do to make a difference today? It might be as simple as saying thank you. Best of luck!